Technology changes our expectations for behavior, our standards for etiquette. Social media is no exception. The things that are important here are vastly different than the broadcast Web. A few live-by rules:
- Be real: Be honest about your identity. Speak with your true voice. Share your personality.
- Be responsive. Engage in conversation. Reply quickly. Answer questions.
- Be a good host. Thank your community. Make people feel comfortable. Translate new terms, insider references, etc.
- Set expectations and deliver on them. Try to be consistent. Focus on a topic. Let people know when things change.
- Be personal, don’t broadcast. Don’t be one sided. Don’t be overly promotional. Don’t repeat, repeat, repeat.
- Listen, then talk. Know your community. Be relevant. Hear other opinions.
- Edit. Don’t overwhelm with frequency. Be brief. Be compelling.