The toughest way to use social media is also one of the best: give people something they need. Fill a gap, provide a bridge, be the tool people can’t live without.
- Tends to create significant conversation / word-of-mouth
- Builds brand perceptions / attachments rather than acting as direct marketing
- Hard to do. It’s finding the idea that will challenge you
- Tends to be a long-term commitment; not a campaign
Make sure you:
- Test the concept with users of social media before you go live. This is one area where being a little tone deaf to the medium can have very negative results.
An Example: FexEx Launches a Package
They found it on Facebook.
One of the limitations of Facebook is that you can’t attach a document or image to a message they way you can in email.
So, FedEx built an application called “Launch a Package” that met that need AND fit their core brand perfectly. The results were immediate: 100,000 installs in 48 hours, 1st branded app to make #1 on Facebook’s Most Active page, and 0ver 50% of users returning more than 10 times after install.